The Spanish Air Force Academy (SAFA) mission is to train and prepare officer candidates for their future career as Air Force Officers.
The SAFA is responsible for establishing the foundation of future military officers and professionals via military education and training. The Military Education System is integrated within the National Education System and provides students with the required training for incorporation to their corresponding specialties. The Spanish Air Force Academy is responsible for the development and training of future Air Force Officers in the following specialties:
- General Corps
- Spanish Air Force pilots
- Aerospace Defense and Control
- Cyberspace and Cyber Defense
- Officer candidates with undergraduate degree complete
- Common Corps/li>
- Engineering Corps
- Quartermaster Corps
General Corps officer cadets earn a commission as Lieutenants in the Air Force and are awarded the degree of Industrial Organization Engineering.
The Spanish Air Force Academy Aeronautical training curriculum is designed to produce and commission trained military professionals qualified to serve in every field of expertise within the Spanish Air Force.
As members of the armed forces, Spanish Air Force Officers have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Professional competence to take part in military operations
- Leadership within the Spanish Air Force
- Aeronautical expertise
- Training excellence
- Serve as models and representatives of Spain’s core military values
- Passionate vocation of service to Spain
The Spanish Air Force Academy utilizes the following curricula criterion for instruction and training:
- Foster learning in a safe and respectful environment
- Provide training and specialization required for incorporation to all career fields
- Award academic degrees recognized by the National Education System
- Deliver trained and qualified leaders to the field
- Instill constitutional principles and values
- Introduce cadets to Spanish Armed Forces missions as defined in the Constitution and Organic Law of National Defense
- Enforce military values and rules of military conduct
- Develop and refine leadership skills
The curriculum is designed to consider the professional needs of the aspiring officer preparing for a wide array of military career paths. Cadets will be exposed to a blend of core curriculum requirements complemented by elective subjects resulting in a well-rounded military professional and officer.
In accordance with Spanish law, military students at the SAFA earn their degree through an accredited and embedded civilian military institute (Centro Universitario de la Defensa or CUD) collocated on San Javier Air Base. All students who graduate from both the CUD and the Spanish Air Force Academy are awarded a degree in Industrial Organizational Engineering via a 5-year degree program.
Students who already have a degree and attend the Academy for mandatory military training, spend one to two years developing their skillsets as an officer, military professional, and learning their specialty.
Pilot training at the Spanish Air Force Academy is comprised of both theoretical and theoretical-practical subjects that are taught throughout students’ academic tenure.
The subject content and phases in Flight Training meet the requirements of both the Spanish Air Force and the EASA Part-FCL and EU-OPS regulations for Civil Aviation.
Flight Training is divided into three main phases/stages:
- Phase I: Screening/Elementary - 791 Squadron (3rd course)
- Phase II: Basic - 793 Squadron (4th course)
- Phase III: Advanced - Fighter School, Transport School, Helicopter School (5th course).